IOM’s office in Moscow was opened in 1992.
IOM’s activities in Russia are governed by a Cooperation Agreement between the Government of the Russian Federation and the International Organization for Migration, in the following areas based on availability of funds:
- direct aid to migrants in the course of migration and integration in the new places of residence;
- technical and expert assistance in migration management and development of legislation;
- improvement of border control and immigration control systems;
- efforts against human trafficking, including trafficking in women and children for sex exploitation;
- activities to prevent irregular migration;
- assisted voluntary return of third-country nationals who are in distress in Russia;
- research programs aimed at resolving migration problems;
- medical aid to migrants;
- reintegration of own nationals;
- other programs.