On 16-18 October 2013 representatives of the International organization for migration participated in the "High-level Seminar on Population Censuses and Migration Statistics in CIS Countries", organized jointly by the Statistical Division of the Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the Federal Service of State statistics of Russia (Rosstat), which was held in Gelendzhik.
The purpose of the Seminar was to discuss the challenges and urgent problems related to the census and the production of statistics on migration. The seminar was attended by heads of national statistical offices and international experts in the field of migration as well as representatives of the government.
The seminar discussed the following key topics :
- traditional census : challenges , problems and solutions ,
- alternative methods of Census
- challenges of migration statistics in the countries of the CIS,
- use of census data, household surveys and administrative sources in order to improve the assessment of international migration,
- availability and exchange of data on migration between countries.
The International organization for migration made a presentation on " Enhancing evidence-base of migration management and policy development: IOM approaches and actions".
Photo: Federal State Statistics Service web-site